225 years in montreal
On Sunday, March 13 2012, the congregation of Knox Crescent Kensington and First Presbyterian Church (known as Kensington Presbyterian Church as of August of this year )celebrated the 225th anniversary of Presbyterianism in Montreal. As a congregation we trace our roots partially back to 1786, when the Rev. John Bethune led worship services for garrison officers and fur traders of the North West Company. Housed within our sanctuary, among other things, is the bell from the St. Gabriel’s Street Church, the first Presbyterian church in Lower Canada.
Here is a brief statement of our history and of our movement forward in faith and mission, following the risen Jesus: KCKF 225 years